Custom Search

Dec 29, 2008

How to save money for a house


So, some of you probably know that me and my fiance are trying to save money to purchase our first home. Our time frame for this is around June - September 2009. Our lease is up at our apartment in August of 2009, and we'd like to be out before then. My personal goal is to be able to have enough for a small down payment say like 5% and have enough to cover closing costs.


I've heard from friends and books that you should try to have 20% available for a down payment. This is not realistic at all for me. We have a wedding and a honeymoon coming up in May that will wipe away almost all the money we've saved for the last year and a half. Luckily we'll get some of it back in gifts from the reception - but I'm not counting on it being huge.


I found some tips on how to save money to buy a home. If you have any suggestions or ways to save money for buying a first home, please let me know.



1 comment:

Melissa said...

dude. Lets but a house.

like tomorrow :D