Custom Search

Dec 22, 2008

happy shortest day of the year

This is a interesting article over the history of various traditions all around the shortest day of the year, Dec 21st, the winter solstice. I don't know how much of what they say is true - but it was definitely interesting.

FYI - in case you were wondering we get just short of 9 hours of daylight (8 hrs and 59 mins) total in Rochester, NY. If you want to know how much sunlight you have - you can download my Yahoo "Sunrise Calculator Enhanced" widget here.

3 comments:

sunkissed said...

Jim,

Fellow Blogger here that wants to add your 'Sunrise Calculator Enhanced' to the sidebar of my site. Can that be done?

I just downloaded it to my desktop but that is not where I want it...the WORLD (or at least my family) can not view it from there.

This was my first Yahoo widget and was not really sure what I was/am doing with the download...was just taking a chance because it appears to be the ONLY decent one out there!!!

Thanks for whatever help...

hope tj is feeling better...

Jim said...

Hi sunkissed! Thanks for responding and checking out the widget.

To use the widget you need to download the Yahoo Widgets application available at Yahoo. This lets you use all sorts of widgets including mine on your desktop. Unforunately I don't think you can use it in a website, at least I'm not sure how that would be done.

Take care! :-)

sunkissed said...

Thanks for the response...I do have on my desktop but was hoping there was some way to embed it elsewhere.

Found an Intellicast widget I can embed but have to type in my zip everytime it refreshes.

You have a nice New Year and good luck on your home purchase. My piece of advice: Patience is a Virtue.