Custom Search

Apr 19, 2006

$$ Gas Prices $$

So, I've been thinking about gas prices lately and how much they have gone up. One of the things I've noticed is that the bands of variation in price fluctuations increases as the price is higher. For example last week, a gallon of gas at the local Delta Sonic cost $2.72, today a week later that price is up to $2.89. More than a $.15 hike in a week. Besides the price of gas continually going up, I think we will continually see major jumps like this. Oil prices depends on a number of things including supply, the world's demand for oil, and fear. That's right, fear is a signicant reason for the jump in price per barrel. Fear over terrorism, over lack availability contribute. Last I heard it was something like it adds $10-20 to the true price of a barrel of oil.

I'm also sure that the technology exists somewhere to make cars much more fuel efficient, getting much better mpg. However due to current political agendas and various lobbyist concerns (big business), people will never see this new technology. Its not until years and years after a known issue becomes a large problem, when the government may begin to seek change (such as what happened with the global warming issue). Scientists have known we are destroying the environment with fossil fuels and other hydrocarbon pollutents, but the true extent of the damage never really gets out to the public due to lobbyists agendas (comming from tobbacco, oil companies, car companies, etc...) All of which do not want things to change immediately because it may impact their business now.

I'm not really sure where i was going with this, just sucks that gas prices have to be so high. And I'm not really complaining that much cause my Saturn gets great gas mileage (about every 300 miles per refill), I feel bad for other people who dont have as fuel efficient vehicles. My next car will likely be a hybrid.

No comments: